Sunday, July 29, 2007

Technology

We've been surprised by the level of technology here at camp. Digital cameras seem to grow on trees. Laptops litter the office. My own cell phone would be obsolete. I'm accessing the internet via a wi-fi connection hooked up to a cell phone. In the middle of Russia. At camp. For some reason, our assumption about Russia was that they would be a little behind us technologically. The opposite is true for this group. Not only is the technology here, the people I have met use it very well. The first night of camp they recorded and edited a video based on The Matrix to introduce the camp counselors. I think Spielberg would be impressed. That's not to say they are rich. I believe the average income is around $400 per person, so money is tight for most people. But they use the technology they have very well.

No comments: